Male infertility doesn’t have to stop you from growing your family
Many people think that female fertility issues cause most cases of infertility. However, male infertility plays a role in about 40% of cases. As a result, Susan Hudson MD includes both partners in diagnosis and treatment at our Corpus Christi fertility center. She understands how devastating an infertility diagnosis can be, but she has the knowledge and tools to help you overcome it.
Diagnosing the causes of infertility in men
As a board certified reproductive endocrinologist and a former fertility patient, Dr. Hudson knows how much you long to be a parent. She is committed to identifying any barriers to pregnancy and helping you overcome them. To begin this process at our Corpus Christi fertility center, she will take a complete medical history and discuss your lifestyle.
As part of the male infertility evaluation, she will also order a semen analysis. This simple test provides valuable information about important sperm characteristics.
- Concentration, the number of sperm per volume of semen
- Morphology, the percentage of normally shaped sperm
- Motility, the percentage of live and swimming sperm
- Semen volume
In some cases, Dr. Hudson may also refer you to an experienced urologist. This type of doctor specializes in diagnosing and treating issues of the male reproductive system. As such, he or she can assist with obstructions, varicoceles, hormonal issues, and erectile dysfunction.
Finding hope with treatments for male infertility
You can find a wealth of highly effective fertility treatments for men. Dr. Hudson will review your diagnostic test results and family-building goals to help you select the best option.
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI). Dr. Hudson uses a catheter (a thin, flexible tube) to insert washed and prepared sperm into the female patient’s uterus.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF). This advanced treatment involves multiple steps, including ovarian stimulation, egg retrieval, fertilization and embryo transfer.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). As part of an IVF cycle, our embryologists will inject a single sperm into each egg to achieve fertilization.
The team at our Corpus Christi fertility center is here to help you achieve your family-building goals. If you would like to get started and schedule an appointment with Dr. Hudson, please contact us.